|THE EVANGELICAL CENTRAL ARCHIVE IN BERLIN||The Building|
|The Central Archives of the Evangelical Church in
Berlin (EZA) was founded in 1979 as the result of
the joining of the Archive of the Evangelical Church
of Germany (EKD) and the Archive of the Evangelical
Church of the Union (EKU).
The Evangelical Church of Germany (EKD) is itself a
union of all the Protestant churches in the several Ger-
man states, creating an alliance of independent chur-
ches of the various Protestant denominations.
The EKD archive was established in Berlin in 1939 and
was composed of the records of the German Evangeli-
cal Church and its various antecedent organizations
( see General Outline of Holdings ). This archive was
transferred to Hannover in 1960 and later, in 1972, to
Soest, where the holdings of the "Ecumenical Archive"
(today, Record Group 51) were added to it. In 1974, the
archive was transferred back to Berlin.
The Evangelical Church of the Union (EKU) is the
successor organization of the Prussian State Church,
the jurisdiction of which extended until 1945 from the
Memel to the Rhein and Saar Rivers, but did not in-
clude the provinces of Hannover, Hessen-Nassau, and
Schleswig - Holstein which had been conquered by
Prussia in 1866. These three provinces continued to
maintain their autonomous churches.
In 1945, the then "Evangelical Church of the Old Prus-
sian Union" lost its church provinces east of the Oder
and Neisse Rivers. The remaining church provinces
declared themselves independent state churches, but
still associated themselves in a special union. In 2003
the EKU merged into the "Union of the Evangelical
Churches in the EKD" (UEK).
The Evangelical Church of the Union (EKU) established
its own archive in 1964, to which the "Archive of the
History of the Kirchenkampf" which had been collected
by Prof. GŁnter Harder, was in 1976 donated by the
Theological College, Berlin-Zehlendorf (today, Record
Evangelical Central Archives in Berlin
Phone / E-Mail: :
+49 30 22 50 45 36
Reservation for workplaces:
Fax: +49 30 22 50 45 40
+49 30 22 50 45 20
Fax: +49 30 22 50 45 40
|As a result of the division of Germany after the Second
World War, the Evangelical Churches of the GDR, formed their own "Federation of Evangelical Churches in the GDR" (BEK) in 1969, and from 1972 the EKU was henceforth divided into
two areas. The BEK, together with the Evangelical Church of Berlin-Brandenburg, established
a "Joint Archive" in 1987 in Berlin-Mitte. In 1992, the holdings of the BEK and the EKU-Section
GDR were transferred to the Central Archive of the Evangelical Church in Berlin (EZA).
The EZA is responsible for all archival material from offices, organizations and institutions of
the EKD and the EKU and their legal and functional antecedents. In addition, the EZA has
collected archival material from independent supraregional organizations and associations
that work closely with the Evangelical church and support it in its message and work as well as
from the estates of important individuals who were active within the sphere of the church and